Wednesday, March 26, 2008

back in the saddle

I've been playing guitar since I was 10 years old. I got started taking lessons from one of the guys in our Catholic church's folk group. I went on to be in that folk group for many years, until it was no longer 'cool' to be in a folk group.

I didn't play a lot during high school, I was a swim jock and played a lot of sports and of course, discovered girls(!).

I took it back up again senior year again and it's been a part of my life ever since. I played in a punk/new wave band in the late seventies/early eighties and had a bit of success. I think I've played every shit bar in Buffalo, NY anyhow. Played NYC, Toronto, Rochester, made a 'demo' tape, shopped it around. But seeing as how I'm a programmer, you can see that was pretty much as far as I got.

I played in several other bands since and played for many years in a worship band at church. This was a pretty rockin' version drums, guitars etc and was a lot of fun.

I developed an auto immune disorder that has rendered my hands and legs numb, and it makes it a lot harder to play now. I don't play much anymore.

We have a work thing (an awards banquet type deal) that is at the Convention Center and a guy I work with has a cover band that is playing the gig. So I'm going to sit in on a couple tunes tonight.

Last night was rehearsal, and once I got the rust off, I had a really good time. It was nice to play again with a full-on band. My hands are still a problem but I can push through on muscle memory ok...

So I'm back!! Weird how life works!
m.

No comments: