Monday, August 25, 2008

kitchen gadgets

As some of you know, I'm the cook in the house. Patti just doesn't like to cook, and I quite enjoy it.

I've done all the cooking since we've been together (25 years now).

Being a guy, I have tool acquisition syndrome. This spills into my kitchen stuff.

First, a few prerequisites.

1) Easy to store.
Especially if it is a minor appliance or something I'm not going to use too often.
2) Easy to clean. We've NEVER had a dishwasher. (I am the dishwasher, although Patti helps with this periodically).
3) Useful in a daily sort of way.
Not everything I've got fits in this category. My mortar and pestle for instance. I don't use it super often, but when you need one, there is no substitute.

I have a couple of favorites:
1) Bagel guillotine. Amazing product. I think the first time I saw one was on TV (the OC I think - my wife and daughter #3 were fans). If you do the bagel thang, it's a must have. Bagels are a Sunday morning thing at the house. I run to Manhattan Bagel - best in Buffalo - and pick up a 1/2 dozen (or so). The guillotine is getting kinda old now though. It's becoming more of a bagel folder than a guillotine these days.
2) Pampered Chef's Cheese grater. Comes with a soft and hard cheese 'wheel'. I'm surprised just how often I use this thing. I've had it for years and I probably use it several times a week.
3) Flexible spatula. It took me a while to find this, (Ikea!), but a spatula that is thin and flexes. Perfect for turning eggs.
4) Pampered Chef's Garlic press - We LOVE garlic. This is an excellent press with a cleaning tool. (If you've ever left one sit before you get to cleaning it, you know what a pain getting these clean is...)
5) Not a 'gadget' per se, but my All-Clad cookware. I lusted after a set of these for at least a decade. They are expensive, but totally worth it. I've had them for nearly two years and often I think how they make a difference. I have the plain aluminum, I don't like non-stick cookware...
6) My cast iron skillet. Heavy mo fo but 'the' tool for the job when making home fries or potatoes anna (holy crap these are excellent!!!) - sometimes old school is the best.


m.

No comments: