Wednesday, August 6, 2008

so that makes me...

My eldest gransdon turns 8 this friday. Eight! Holy shit!!!

It's times like these how early Patti and I started our family. When we went to my 20th HS reunion, we had all high school age kids. Mostly, there were toddlers to 7/8 year olds everywhere. Seemed strange then, seems strange now.

He presented us with a list of items he wants for his birthday last saturday. I didn't total it up, but it is easily in the $1000.00 + range.

But that's cool. It's a good thing to know what you want I guess. This is the same grandson that asked for an iPhone last Christmas.

He's very tuned into pop culture. Watches waaaaaaay too much TV and is a bit of a class clown. It makes sense to me that he'd like to live on the bleeding edge of technology. I think he sees (as many people do, not just kids) that owning the latest gadget gives you some cache. He's kinda arty, not very sporty. He plays soccer, Patti and I went to a recent game, but his heart isn't in it. He's remarkably like my son #2, who is finishing his masters this school year in conducting. He's very popular at school and has a bit of his mom's free spirit in him. I like him a lot (of course, I love him too, but I like who he is, ya know?)

Surprisingly, he hasn't got the cell phone yet, but it's only a matter of time. I went to a taco joint for lunch yesterday and there were a couple of kids in there that couldn't have been older than 8 or so and they both had cell phones. Weird.

Our saturday breakfast is going to be a birthday celebration for him, with presentation of the 'big gift'. Should be a lot of fun!

So happy birthday grandson #1!!!!

m.

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My 10 yr old started asking for a cell phone "with bluetooth" when he was 8 and still doesn't own one. I think it's hilarious. My husband is 49 - we have a 10 yr old and a 2 yr old. Most of his classmates have grown children and are often grandparents already. The Evil Twin just waited until later in life to find me and start his family. :-)