Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

Another Valentine's Day, another chance for guys across America to completely screw the pooch!

My wife and I don't really pay much attention to V day. It's just another day for us, although I did say 'Happy Valentine's Day', we won't be making much of a fuss. Patti isn't really fussy about these kinds of things, we both think this is just another Hallmark holiday. We talked about it on the way to work and she basically said if I didn't really feel loved, a box of chocolates or flowers wouldn't make the difference anyway. And she really means it, she does NOT expect anything.

For most guys I think there is quite a bit of trepidation about this sort of thing (anniversaries included). It's a bit of a mine field for most guys, even if there wifes/girlfriends say it's no big deal. I think most women DO expect something here, and guys, being guys, will read into their 'indifference' and end up sleeping on the couch. (oh, and please ladies, don't tell us it's no big deal if you're going to get disappointed later - that's not fair - we're guys, we're gonna understand you for what you SAY not what you MEAN!)

Everyone wants a little fussing now and again, but that's what the other 364 days are for. Most men I know are blowing it. I've always believed in the 'us' that is our marriage and I've never had any trouble investing in it. And that's the rub. A lot of people disappointed in their relationships are suffering from the lack of investment in it. And it's foolishness. If you didn't water and care for a house plant it would die, everyone knows that. Why is it so difficult (especially for my gender) to see that a little care and selflessness would bring huge returns. Disappointed with your sex life? Look outside the bedroom, cuz if it's not working there, it ain't gonna work in there! (oh, and guys - the opposite is totally true - for a lot of guys I know, that'd be enough incentive)

I'm blessed to be in an unbelievable marriage, beyond any expectations of anything I could have worked out in my practical little brain. And it's not because I do this or Patti does that. It's because we work at preserving the 'us'. The 'us' is more important than either of our individual needs. She's got my back, I've got hers - pretty nice way to face this crazy world.

And our investment in that has brought me more personal satisfaction and happiness than anything I could have done for myself. And it's served us very well over the last 25 years...

So, Happy Valentine's Day - I hope your investments bring huge returns!!!!
m.
(huh - he said huge - huh, huh)

No comments: