Wednesday, June 4, 2008

If it was easy, everybody would do it

My daughter's marriage is coming apart.

It's been coming for a while. You can only go to the brink so many times before you drop over the edge, ya know? They've been together over 5 years, (one son together) and he's bailing out.

Tough stuff this marriage stuff. My daughter has said to my wife that she 'wants what you and dad have'. And I get that, I do.

And Patti and I do have a terrific relationship, I am one lucky short bald guy and I know it. Our relationship is a marvel even to me, and I'm in it!

I know what we overcame to get here, and trust me our first 10 years or so were very tough. But not with/on each other. The world was tough on us, some of it self inflicted, some of it pressed on us. And we, at a very young age (23, and 25 - older woman - gotta love it!), were tested in a way most couples are not.

And I think it served to galvanize us. We had to fight together to survive our early years of no money and tough family situations. And it made our marriage resilient.

Marriage isn't for the weak of heart. It's a job for grown-ups.

It's about putting yourself down on the list a bit. It's about waiting for what you want, so your wife and kids get what they want. It's about giving up on what you want for your wife and kids needs, and accepting the sacrifice for the greater good (without all the resentment). And Patti has reciprocated in kind. (how awesome is that!)

Oversimplified? I don't think so. Easy? Not in my experience.

like I said, if it was easy, everybody would do it!
m.

1 comment:

Blonde Goddess said...

I think your daughter has a very wise dad.
I'm sorry that things are so rough for her right now. I hope everything will work out...