Friday, June 27, 2008

tick tock

Getting down to it. My son's wedding is tomorrow at 11 am.

Rehearsal and dinner tonight.

I saw son #2 last night and he's calm and collected. Doing a lot of last minute running around for the honeymoon etc.

I really feel good about this one. I'm sure everyone has been to a wedding where it's 'oh boy, I hope they're gonna be ok'. I know I have. And that's probably not very generous, but hey, it's the truth. Patti and I heard through the grapevine that we were given the obligatory 6 months. (23 + years later, HA!).

These two are a good match. And all of the cliches apply. I am gaining another daughter. I really like my (future) daughter in law and I feel she is going to make son #2 a better man. I believe in marriage and I know how the love of a good woman can make all the difference. She's strong where he's not and I think as long as he's listening, she will be a great help to him in his life and career.

Women see the world differently, they see plots and sub-plots of the world in situations that are somehow not obvious to men. That perspective has been a boon to me throughout my married life, and I'm often discussing stuff with Patti to hear what she thinks in just about every situation.

I know this because I lived it. I'm a better man today because of Patti. I can't imagine how different my life would be if she wasn't in it.

And I hold that hope for my son and his new wife.

m.

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm sure if he views you both as role models, they'll be fine!

The Evil Twin and I have watched many of our (formerly) married couple friends bite the dust. It's sad.