Tuesday, June 10, 2008

the 'what-ifs'

I'm having a big case of the 'what ifs' lately. I'm prone to this sort of thing.

I think it's my way of trying to control my life. I'm not a control freak (I don't think), but I spend a lot of mental energy on trying to figure out 'what if this happens, how will I respond?'. 'What if my little biz takes off?'

A house went up for sale in my neighborhood last week. A double (3 bedrooms up, 3 down) Patti and I have been sorta looking at doubles for my kids. Now one came up about 10 houses away. It's waaaay under market value and we can't even tour it until tomorrow. We have an appt. at 5pm.

Here's the plan. Daughter #1 and the grandkids in the lower, Son #2 and his new wife (wedding on the 28th) in the upper. That would just be amazing. Sure, we'd charge them rent, but it would be lower than they are both paying now and they'd have a much bigger place.

What if we get it? What if it's too hammered? What if the inspection turns up something bad?

I mean, I'm working overtime on this these days. I only have to wait one day, but it's hard for me not to get a bit carried away.

Daughter #1's marriage is dissolving, she needs the help, plus our grandkids would be right down the block! My son is in graduate school and has at least two years left. He's all excited to have a whole new yard to landscape! (He completely re-landscaped my entire front yard - we won awards and were placed on the Buffalo Garden walk!)

So, lots of what ifs. It can drive a guy nuts...
m.

5 comments:

kristin said...

Okay, followed your link for ETW's comment page.

No, I'm not a stalker. Really.

But when I saw that you mentioned Buffalo, and your profile said "upstate NY", I had to stop and say hello. I'm in Rochester, neighbor. :::waving:::

You sound like a close family - I would flip living in the same house as my brother or parents. But it sounds like you guys would love it.

LOVE the idea of your weekly breakfasts -but as I'm from Philly and my DH is from MA, that wouldn't work for us.

Sorry about your daughter - it sucks to see the ones you love hurtting, but it sounds like she has a lot of support from you and your wife.

I had to chuckle when you mentioned grandkids, then in another post said you were 48!
I'm 46 and my kids are only 10 and 12. :-)

Does anyone else comment here except for Tammie? :-)

Love the Danish modern furniture. But then, as a Scandinavian myself, I always have.

Sorry this was so long!
Enjoy the day.

Michael said...

Hey kwr221,
:::waving back!!::: My daughter (#3) is a second year pharmacy student at St. John Fisher! She lives just inside the city line near the school.

The breakfasts have turned into quite the 'event'. When I don't put one on, they all complain!!! And truth be told, I miss it. It's a great way to stay connected with everyone's very busy lives.

We've turned into quite a close family. But as far as living together, not so much. My folks are scattered, Patti's as well. In fact, we had an empty nest (1st time in our marriage) when Daughter #3 was at school. (We dug that!) for the record, I'd completely flip if my mom came to live with us, but the kids (and grandkids) - no problemothe.

Yeah, we started young. It was stupid hard for us, but we were young we didn't really think so at the time. Looking back - geez it was tough, but we feel kinda indestructable now...

I gotta take more pics of the furniture. The couch and tables are freakin' cool!!!

Yeah, just Tammie!!! I don't know why that is, but I love when she comments!

Thanks, you enjoy too!
m.

Blonde Goddess said...

About the house...

Well I have a philosophy on life.
"If it's meant to happen, it'll happen."

That's been an attitude that's always worked for me and believe it or not, it's always worked out ok, even when I've been disappointed cause something better has come along.

(Does that make sense?)

And yeah...I comment here. I'm the number one stalker here so...yeah...

Michael said...

Hey Tammie,
I also subscribe to that philosophy ,doesn't stop the 'what ifs' though.
m.
btw - you may be my only stalker! (you are special!)

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Anything involving real estate can drive a person nuts.

And hey, I stalk too! ;-)