Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Wedding March

Getting down to it. Son number two gets married next weekend.

The shower, stag and stagette (?) have come and gone. Today I have to go and get fitted for my tux. Tonight, Patti and I are going out looking at dresses. This mother of the bride stuff is a lot of pressure for Patti. She's not a 'girly' girl, if you know what I mean. She understands the social expectations, but she's doesn't really doesn't respond well to that sort of thing.

I don't either, for that matter. We both tend to view social obligations as a royal PITA. I mean, I got off easy with the tux. They even picked the shoes. We guys really do have it easier. With guys, it's like a uniform. A suit, a tux, a sport coat. Done. It's a LOT more complicated for Patti.

So it translates into a measurable amount of stress. So we'll do the thing and see what happens. When son #1 got married, we actually found 2 dresses that she liked. (it was like a freakin' miracle) Not to mention, shoes, accessories, undergarments for the chosen dress...
bleh...

Patti is a small women (we're like a miniature family - everyone is there - just smaller) and although she turns 50 this year, you'd never know it. Patti used to color her hair, now there is quite a bit of grey, but still she looks much younger. She looks fabulous. But there is the standard measure of female insecurity there too.

So, my part in this is somewhat delicate. I will have to navigate the 'does this make me look fat' conversations with great diplomacy. It's strange how even very attractive women get caught up in all that, and it can be a bit of a mine field for us guys - I would never want to hurt her feelings over a stupid dress that she'll probably wear once. For example, the dress just doesn't look good on her. Maybe it's the cut, the color, whatever. There's the rub. Communicate that carefully, my friends.

And the irony in all of it is that she has excellent taste and whatever she eventually buys will be flattering and tasteful for the occasion.

geez, this IS a PITA...
m.

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I consider myself pretty girly, but I also hate frilly stuff. I mean, I wear make up and style my hair everyday, but I don't want to be getting into fussy clothes, etc. I feel for ya.