Thursday, January 3, 2008

Dinner with my daughters

Tonight is going to be fun!

I'm taking daughter #2 and #3 out to Red Lobster for dinner. Patti doesn't like Red Lobster especially if there are crab legs, lobster and shrimp involved. She thinks they look like bugs! Albeit she has a point. If you took a toddler and placed a lobster or a crab down nearby, they'd likely think it was a huge bug. Patti just can't get by that, she freaks out about bugs in general.

So tonight, Patti is watching grandson (#3 - nearly two years old) and we're going to eat huge plate fulls of bugs!!!

Daughter #3 goes back to Pharmacy school this weekend so it'll be a bit of a send off as well. Both daughters love seafood, so this should be a lot of fun.

As with most parents of adults, we just don't have the time or opportunity to just have a nice night out. Plus the grandkids make it hard for Daughter #2 to get out and do something like this.

I'm really looking forward to tonight, a little white wine and a nice large bug with drawn butter!
mmmmmmmmmm.

m.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Crabs lobster and shrimp ARE bugs..they are bugs of the sea

Scott said...

Sounds like a nice night out. I miss not being able to do that with my oldest daughter as we live a thousand miles apart. And now that she is pregnant with my first grand child it will be more difficult.

I love seafood as well, although I had one experience that I won't forget. My first trip to the Outer Banks I ordered a softshell crab sandwich, not knowing what it was, just that it was crab and I of course love crab meat. When I was handed a sandwich with what looked like a giant fried tick on it I was shocked and appalled. But also hungry, and not wanting to send it back and sound stupid by admiting I didn't know I had ordered a fried bug, I ate it. It wasn't so bad, but I won't be ordering any more giant ticks for lunch.

Michael said...

Hey Scott,
Yeah, it was really a lot of fun. I've got a son in Seattle that I see maybe every year or two so I get the far away thing too. He got married a year ago June and they're talking about trying for a baby, so that will be one far flung grandbaby!

My Mom's people are from Baltimore, I remember as a kid my grandmother made me a soft crab sandwich. Sounds like what you had! She put mayo on two slices of bread, and pan fried it (legs and all) then popped it on the bread. It was fan-freakin'-tastic!!! Kinda weird eating a sandwich with the legs sticking out of all sides!
m.