Tuesday, January 22, 2008

This working life

I don't know how you feel about it, but I've been working (for other people) full time since I was 20 years old. That means for nearly 28 years (holy shit!) I've been making other people rich.

And I've seen it first hand. My longest tenured position was 18 years with the same company. I was employee 4. The biz grew and grew making the owner a millionaire. (Probably several times over) And, ya know, I was paid pretty well throughout and my family was well taken care of, so I'm not complaining.

However, I think I worked just as hard (and for the last 8 - 10 years the owner hardly showed up) and he's got millions and I've got a bit of a 401k.

After I left that company experience I was changed. I now don't look at my work life in quite the same way. When I was younger, I gave blood for my job. Losta hours, lotsa personal investment, NO EQUITY!!!

I want to build something of my own. I want to control my own work destiny. I have started a little business, and although it will not likely grow to replace my current income as a software developer, it could be a nice 'retirement income'. I read a book about 'lifestyle entrepreneurship', and what the gist of it is, is that a lot of people build a business, not to be the next MicroSoft, but to be financially independent. Obviously, this means different things to different people.

I don't want to be a bazillionaire, at least I'm not setting out to be. I'd like to be my own thing, where a decision made in another state, by people I don't even know (or who know me) can throw my world into chaos. People travel from different countries just to do what I am doing now after nearly 48 years on the planet.

There are days that go by with no sales and little activity, but things are definitely moving in the right direction and I'm starting to dream a little.

And it's a nice dream!
m.

1 comment: