Thursday, January 10, 2008

White coat

I didn't know what a white coat ceremony was (really) before this weekend. Daughter #3 is in graduate school and survived her first semester (3.0 thank you very much) of Pharmacy Graduate school. (It takes 8 years total, 4 years undergrad, 3 years study, 1 year internship)

To kick off the semester they had a 'White Coat Ceremony'. She goes to school about an 1 1/2 hour drive away from home, but my Daughter #2 and her husband, Daughter #3's boyfriend, Son #2 and his fiance and Grandson #3, all made the trek on Sunday.

The ceremony was very nice, and what I didn't know is that this was a rite of passage of sorts for my daughter. Speakers spoke about being in the class that got white coated when they were in school.

So we all piled into the auditorium and one by one the students were called up on stage and the dean of the school of pharmacy would put the coat on them. It was very cool. So now my daughter has her lab/pharmacist coat with her name stitched on the front in red. Then all the students faced the crowd and recited an oath.

Afterward there was a reception with finger foods and wine and cheese. That was pretty nice too, got to meet some of Daughter #3's professors. Then we all went back to our daughter's one bedroom apartment for pizza and beer! (and watched the football playoffs)

It was a very loud, but very cool night - I don't think anyone slept that well, we were stacked up like cord wood. But it was an awesome family time.

The cool thing that occurred to me was how proud (I know I've said this before) I am not just of Daughter #3, but of all my kids. It was great fun hanging out with all of them over a very special occasion.
m.

1 comment:

Blonde Goddess said...

That's fantastic! It sounds like such a great chance to spend some time together. I'm sure you're very proud of your kids. They're lucky to have such a great mom and dad!