Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Oscars

Patti and I love movies. We have amassed quite the DVD collection over the years and we watch our movies in alphabetical order. I know that sounds anal, but it has worked out to be a really cool way to watch the movies without all the debating over 'what do you feel like watching'.

We tend to like movies that are different, Patti gravitates toward what I describe as 'Twisted Human Wreckage' movies. Which brings me to the Oscars this year.

Now I don't care if they have a show or not, and I know there is a lot of politics, probably payola and a lot of 'campaigning' to get the nominations and the awards. All that aside, we've actually seen 3 of the 5 best picture nominees.

No Country for Old Men - is an absolutely amazingly dark crime movie from the Cohen Brothers. Javiar Bardem is chilling as the bad guy (and nearly everyone is at least not a 'good guy'). He's as good a boogeyman as any ever in film. The movie is based on a book by Cormac McCarthy (who is also brilliant - read 'All the Pretty Horses' one of the best books I've read in decades) and the Cohen bros. do him proud. This is my pick for best pic, I'd like the Cohen's to win for director but...

There Will Be Blood - This is a Tour de Force performance by Daniel Day Lewis. The story is solid and satisfying, but this is a performance movie and he is effing brilliant. I saw the movie tuesday and I'm still thinking about it. Paul Thomas Anderson has made some of the best movies over the last 10 years, this has the narrative and performances to possibly bring this guy to the masses. Best actor for Lewis, best director for PT Anderson.

Michael Clayton - Really good, but not in the class of the previous movies. Everyone is great in this movie - Clooney, Swinton, and Wilkinson are all first rate. This is a grown ups movie and really a good time. Definitely worth seeing.

We're going to try to see Juno, which I kinda peg as this years Little Miss Sunshine.

If you like challenging, dark movies, any of the three fit the bill. I think No Country and There Will be Blood will be talked about for years!
m.

1 comment:

Blonde Goddess said...

I love the movie reviews! I want Mr.Man to take me out to a movie this weekend. Now I know what's worth watching.