Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Their own voice

Patti and I got into a discussion about music and artists that have developed their own voice. Not an easy thing to do.

Like in the 90's with the grunge thing, Nirvana and Pearl Jam are huge successes (and I believe had their own thing going) and then for the rest of the 90's a bazillion bands come out that sound like them.

I like the Killers, their 1st CD is pretty solid and Sam's Town wasn't the smash the first one was but it wasn't bad. They sound like themselves. I know they are kinda retro 80's in their sound, but if you hear them - you know it's them. And very few artists achieve that.

U2 - same thing - you KNOW it's them, from the first chord usually!

I keep getting bands like the All American Rejects, Yellowcard etc confused. SSDD, ya know?

So a partial list of bands that are their own thing:
The Rolling Stones
Zep
Pink Floyd
Tom Waits
Leonard Cohen
Dave Matthews (I'm NOT a fan, but hey he's an original)
Depeche Mode
The Clash

Others?
m.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Friend
I have gone through your blog. It seems that you are trying earnestly for your blog.
It is quite clear that you also want to
monetize your blog as evident from the ads running in your blog.
Your adverising company pays you only when somebody clicks the ads.
Will it not be great if you are paid for every visitor ?
Well there is a program, which is absolutely free to join,but hurry up.
To join it Click here.
To know more about it Click Here.
With warm regards I remain.
Hurry Up, My friend.