Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Make it stop!

I love music. I always have, I've been playing guitar since I was 10 years old in the church folk group. (Can I get a little Kumbuya?)

I'm a software developer, one of the cube dwellers, and I'm able to listen to music on headphones all day long. And often I do, I have my MP3 player, Yahoo internet radio, cds etc.

I don't even try to keep up with popular music anymore. I used to watch the Grammies and MTV Video awards, now I don't even know who the bands/artists (?) are. Like most people I prefer the music of my formative years. Or at least something of that particular sound, I guess. I didn't arrest in the classic rock era, although that seems to be the way of it. Travel to any city in America and you'll find the Classic rock station, replete with the crazy morning crew playing the exact same playlist they played when I was in high school. (I graduated in 1978, so the seventies was MY era, I suppose).

I gravitated to the punk/new wave scene in the late seventies/early eighties with bands like The Clash, The Jam, English Beat (love the ska stuff), Echo and the Bunnymen, XTC even early REM. Man, I loved REM in the eighties, saw them twice, great effin' band back then.

Often I get a song stuck in my head. This happens to my wife to and often there is no explaining how/why a particular song gets 'chosen'.

So this morning I have 'Separate Ways' by Journey stuck, (and I mean STUCK) in my head. I can't even remember the last time I heard this song but there it is. I mean, Journey is ok, but that isn't even one of their better songs.

So basically, the juke box in my head betrays me, and often.

Well, at least its not 'Dancing Queen'
m.

No comments: