Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanks

We don't go 'round the table and ask everyone what they are thankful for, something we just never did.

But since I've joined the Blogger thing...

First and foremost I'm thankful for my wife. I can't imagine what my life would look like if she hadn't been a part of everything I've done the last 25 years. She makes me laugh, shares her perspective on things, keeps me sane. I'm often astonished at her ability to see the plots and sub-plots of human interaction. For example, if I relate something going on at work, she will see it from a perspective that I had not thought of, and is usually proved right. This has proven to be an invaluable gift to me and has helped me to not get caught up in bullshit. I expect this ability is uniquely female, and guys out there should take the time and actually listen the women in their lives. She doesn't play games, doesn't keep score in arguments (past or present) and doesn't bitch (unless I've got it coming - I do have to fix the screen door). We have an amazing relationship and friendship and she still rocks my world after 25 years. I know how lucky we are - and I've not seen a marriage that works like ours anywhere.

Secondly, my children and grandkids. I am so proud of all of them. They've turned out to be good, strong, loving grown-ups. Grandkids are a great gig. All the fun without half of the worry! They don't need to be 'great successes' in the world, I just want them to be happy in whatever they do. It's amazing how different they've all turned out, a strange blend of both Patti and I, but again, I couldn't be prouder.

All the rest, to me anyway, are details. Without my family around me, all the wealth in the world couldn't make up for it....

Happy Thanksgiving all, take stock in what you have and try to see the goodness in each other!
And by all means, eat too much and fall asleep in front of the TV, it is Thanksgiving after all..
m.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think it's sweet with the relationship you and your wife have. I envy you

Michael said...

I'm (we're) very lucky, and we know it. Remember that line from 'The Princess Bride'? True Love only happens once every 100 years? That's the way I feel about it. My parents (and Grandparents, for that matter), Patti's parents - all ended in divorce. Messy ones at that. I think I mentioned on your blog that we did marrige counseling, well, one of the questions that we asked our couples is if they could name a relationship that they've seen up close, that really worked.
Sadly, only one couple could think of one. (One of their grandparents).
I know you're having a rough time right now, and I want to encourage you. It CAN happen, it's not just a story that you read about in books.
Happy Thanksgiving and hang in there...
m.
m

Blonde Goddess said...

I too think you have a wonderful relationship with your wife.It's one of the things I respect about you. (the way you talk so adoringly about her).
I hope your Thanksgiving is a wonderful! Enjoy your family!!!