Thursday, November 8, 2007

McGrumbles

I don't eat much fast food.

I used to have a job that required travel, anything within a 6 hour radius was driven, anything farther than that you could fly.

When I first started the job, I used to hit a lot of fast food drive thru to keep moving. If you've got a 6 hour trip ahead, you don't want to blow a half hour eating in the 'dining room'. But like most everything, you pay for it one way or another. I was so sick of the food after a short while I either didn't eat or sought out local diners or ANYTHING but fast food. (It was better to spend the time, than to be sickened for the rest of the trip!) Mostly the food is just bad, and frankly you don't want to be in a closed environment for 6 hours with what Morgan Spurlock termed 'the McGrumbles'.

Last night I took my wife to one of those in home jewelery parties at daughter #2's apartment. Time was a little tight and #2 needed a bunch of things, a card table, butter, mayo, chips, etc. so time was pretty tight. So we hit MacDonalds.

Like I said, we don't do that very often. It was one of those spanky new ones with the Kid's playland and the ridiculously large tables chairs. Have you seen one of these? The tables are 5 feet off of the floor with these huge benches or bar stool type seats. Is this to make the 'bigger folks' more comfortable? I mean, I'm 5' 4" tall, 145 lbs. I had to get a running start just to get into my seat.

Behind the counter was just bedlam, and it wasn't even that crowded. There were about 8 people in various 'lines' waiting to place orders. I ordered 'value meals' and the girl actually had to get the manager to take my order. The food was just terrible, stale rolls, overcooked fries.

I remember going to McD's as a kid and it seemed to be a model of efficiency. I mean, I was young but it seemed like everyone was on the ball, you ordered, and bang! The food arrived. A Henry Ford production line for food.

So there's the question. Am I experiencing fast food nostalgia? Or has this shit just gone downhill?

Gotta fly, I have to go deal with the revenge of the Big Mac Value meal, wish me luck...
m.

2 comments:

Blonde Goddess said...

Nah...I've been a regular of McDonald's since they opened and yes, it has gone downhill a bit in the efficiency department.
My kids love to eat out but I hate it.
I'd rather cook every night. So you're not alone with wanting to avoid the fast food places.

Michael said...

I'm the cook in my house as well and I would much rather eat at home. Even if I'm slumming it, it's still better than that crap. Did you see that supersize me movie? Scary stuff...
m.