Thursday, November 15, 2007

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I'm a guy and I cook. Got a problem with that?

I do all the cooking in the house, I like it, I'm a much better cook than my wife and it works for us.

This is one of those weird gender things that people seem to struggle with. The guys I know just don't get it. That's the wife's job, right. I've picked up a strange vibe from guys on this as well, like I've violated some 'man law' or something.

The women we know are always telling Patti how lucky she is that someone else is responsible for that job. I guess guys can grill food, no stigma there, so they can cook, as long as it's outside. (?)

I was the only guy at a recent Pampered Chef party that a friend of ours had. The hubby is my best guy friend, and we do things occasionally as couples. So I got the invite and Patti tagged along. This is the second time I've been the only guy at one of these things. (I was awarded the door prize at the first one, the woman had been selling the stuff for 7 years and NEVER had a man attend - like 'oh, you have a penis? Here's a nice gift!')

The chef's stuff is pretty nice (a bit pricey, but it's a home party - that's the way it works) and I have quite a few of the items/gadgets and I wanted to get a few more. So it was my wife and I and eight other women at the party. I totally dug it, although I suspect a few of the women would have preferred it was just women.

And there's something there. I think most men and women like to be in a room full of their own gender. Like at a party where the guys are in the living room, and the women all congregate in the kitchen. We just don't seem to work well into that, neither one of us.

I love to cook, I read cookbooks, watch Top Chef. And every week or so I'll try something new. My wife, on the other hand, hates to cook. She's happy with something that is easy and quick, even if it is crap. (i.e. boxed mac and cheese)

So we have 11 coming (so far) for Thanksgiving, and I'm gearing up for a whole days worth of cooking. And frankly, I'm looking forward to it.

Gotta decide on the pies...
mmmmm....pies.....
m.

2 comments:

Blonde Goddess said...

Pies are the most wonderful of things, are they not?
I go completely overboard on pies when it comes to holidays.
There are only six of us, (seven if my daughters boyfriend comes) and I make several pumpkin pies, an apple pie, peach pie, lemon meringue pie, chocolate cream pie, peanut butter pie and coconut cream pie.

Gotta love pie!!!

Michael said...

I usually do this apple one, it has french custard, then apples, then apricot preserves. I usually do a lattice top... Patti loves Lemon meringue, maybe I'll make one for her this year, good idea!
m.