Friday, December 21, 2007

Bread Monstrosity

I purchased a bread machine this week. It's something I've been looking at for a while and when I got an email from buy.com that it was on sale, I snapped it up.

We buy a lot of fresh bread. I bought 3 different loaves last weekend. I make a lot of soups and stews and stuff and we've talked about picking one of these up for a while.

I have a thing about minor appliances. If I'm not going to use them, I don't want them. Then you have to store the freakin' thing somewhere. We've got a blender taking up space, I think I've used that thing once. Same thing with the waffle maker, although I haven't used it a ton, it does get used, maybe a couple times a year.

So meeting all of the criteria for use, I got the bread machine.

The thing is freakin' HUGE. It's a 2 lb loaf maker and it's taller than my microwave, not as wide, but even deeper. (didn't look that big in the pictures!) Where the hell am I going to put that thing? Counter space is at a premium (90 yr old house).

I haven't fired it up yet, do any of you have one of these? Do you use it? Where do you store it? Do you put it in a cupboard, or is it out on the counter?

Any good recipes?

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this thing...
m.

2 comments:

Blonde Goddess said...

I have good bread recipes but I've never owned a bread machine. I wonder if you can use the old fashioned, "pound it until it's dead" method recipes in it?

I'll post a few when I get a moment to catch my breath.

Janis Bland said...

I had two bread machines years ago, like the late 80's. I can't even remember the brand, but they were the same.

I finally got tired of their taking up valuable space, and the bread could never measure up to Mom's REAL homemade.

So instead, I have my big honkin' KitchenAid mixer, and I make bread the Old Fashioned Way (when I have time). It's really MUCH better than my old bread machines.