Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Musical Perspective

I have a large collection of music, and through my co-workers access to lots, lots more.

Recently, one of the guys brought in two CD's from my 'formative years'. Yes 'Fragile' and Blue Oyster Cult's live album 'On Your Feet or on Your Knees'. (This was before the Reaper and Godzilla years).

When I was a teenager, I wore the grooves off of both of these albums. I knew every note, every pop, every crack. And I connected with the music.

I don't think I've heard the BOC album in over 25 years. And musically, it's probably not great. I like to think my tastes have refined, or whatever. But even though I can see it as flawed I still connected with it. It still had an evocative effect. And that is really powerful/wonderful.

I picked up the remastered copies of Diamond Dogs and Station to Station by Bowie for my wife recently. Same thing, like she was 15 again...

What is it about music that so galvanizes in you that even decades later can transport you to your bedroom, in your patched jeans, with HUGE headphones on?

- quick aside - I always wore headphones and played music at ridiculous levels. I remember my mother bursting into my room screaming at me. Apparently she'd been calling me for some time and was very pissed I was ignoring her. She was completely beside herself screaming and gesturing and I was completely oblivious. Great image of my mom with her seventies hair (like Mrs. Brady) - just furious - good stuff!

I try to listen to new music, I really do. But I haven't found much out there that I connect with anymore. And you know, I WANT to. But so little clicks with me. I'm open to suggestions people...

m.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I'm only 25 and even I find it difficult to get in to the music of today. I am a music whore and a lot of the junk produced these days makes my ears bleed...and that's interesting because I can appreciate music from nearly every genre.
I would rather listen to Frank Sinatra, Depeche Mode, and Pink Floyd over Snoop Dog or 50Cent any day.
I'm also the girl that cries at the symphony though...